Guitars are not the most convenient instrument to carry around with you all day, so if you want something a bit more portable to help practise chords while you’re out and about then you may want to consider a pocket guitar.
What is a pocket guitar?
A pocket guitar is a scaled-down version of an electro-acoustic guitar neck that is specifically designed as a portable guitar. They are an ideal practice aid for guitar players as they can be carried around in your pocket and used to practise chords and finger-work while you’re on the move - e.g. during the commute, on your lunch break, while you’re out shopping etc…
Pocket guitars shouldn’t be confused with ‘travel guitars’ - which are smaller, more portable versions of acoustic guitars - as pocket guitars are simply part of a guitar neck and fingerboard so players can practise their finger placement and dexterity.
Most pocket guitar models feature a retractable fingerboard so they can be easily folded and carried around discreetly in a pocket - with many no bigger than a modern smartphone. Some models have six strings to offer the most realistic guitar practising experience, while some of the cheaper models only feature two or three strings, so are best for only practising solos and finger-picking.
Pocket guitar buying guide
If you’re interested in buying a pocket guitar but are not sure which one to buy, read our detailed buying guide below…
Who are pocket guitars for?
Pocket guitars are a type of miniature guitar that are designed for musicians on-the-go, for practising and for those who have limited space. They are perfect for guitar enthusiasts, those who travel a lot and beginner musicians who want to play the guitar and practise their fingerwork wherever they are.
What to consider when buying a pocket guitar?
Some key things to consider when buying a pocket guitar include:
- Price: Pocket guitars come in a variety of prices, ranging from affordable to high-end. Consider your budget and what features you need before making a purchase.
- Brand: Not many of the well-known guitar brands offer pocket guitars, so you won’t have much to go on when it comes to picking a pocket guitar based on the brand or manufacturer.
- Design: Pocket guitars come in different designs, colours and materials. Consider what design best suits your style and needs.
- Durability: Pocket guitars are designed for portability, so make sure that the guitar is durable and can withstand regular use and travel.
Are pocket guitars worth it?
With most pocket guitars costing between £10-£20, they certainly provide value for money for guitarists who want an easy and portable option to practise their guitar playing. It’s not always possible to have a guitar with you, so a pocket guitar you can keep in your laptop bag or handbag is a great way to always have the ability to work on your fingerwork and practise chords.
Of course, there’s no substitute to the real thing and you won’t get much feedback in terms of sound from a pocket guitar - so they should purely be seen as a way to work on your finger position on the fretboard.
How to use a pocket guitar
Below are some tips to help you get the most out of your pocket guitar.
- Practise regularly: The key to improving your guitar playing skills is to practise regularly.
- Experiment with different playing styles: Try playing different genres of music and experiment with different playing styles.
- Take care of your pocket guitar: Proper maintenance of your pocket guitar will help prolong its lifespan and improve its performance.
- Consider adding accessories: Consider adding accessories, such as a case or a strap, to enhance your experience and protect your pocket guitar.
With these considerations in mind, you will be able to make an informed decision when buying a pocket guitar.
The best pocket guitars to buy right now
Below we have listed the best pocket guitars you can buy online right now.
Fanville Portable Wooden Pocket Guitar
The Fanville Portable Wooden Pocket Guitar is great for finger exercising and building up muscle memory for guitar chords.
It has six strings, so will feel exactly like your acoustic or electric guitar, although the strings are not tuned so don’t expect to get a decent sound out of it.
For a lightweight and portable Pocket Guitar though, this has everything you need to practise your guitar playing and fretwork anywhere.
VGEBY Pocket Guitar
The VGEBY Pocket Guitar 6 Fret is a compact and lightweight musical instrument designed for guitar players to improve their skills and finger flexibility. Made from high-quality wood material with fine workmanship, this pocket guitar is durable and suitable for long-term use.
This pocket guitar features six frets and genuine strings, making it a great tool for practicing chords and scales. Whether you're a beginner or an experienced player, this pocket guitar is a must-have for those looking to improve their guitar playing skills.
The pocket guitar is 44.5cm in length when open and 25.5cm in length when closed, and it weighs approximately 187g. It comes with a drawstring storage bag and a screwdriver, making it easy to store and transport. The Portable Pocket Guitar 6 Fret is an essential tool for any guitar player looking to take their skills to the next level.
Alomejor Pocket Guitar
The Alomejor Portable 6 String Fingerboard Guitar is a convenient and practical tool for guitar players looking to improve their skills. With a built-in rotatable screen that displays the most commonly used chords, this pocket guitar is perfect for finger placement exercise.
In addition to its compact size, this fingerboard guitar features steel strings with adjustable tension, allowing players to customise their playing experience. The built-in metronome function allows players to learn and practice chords at their preferred tempo.
This 6 fret pocket guitar is designed to be noise-free and interference-free, making it a great choice for players who want to practise in any environment. At the same time, it is lightweight and easy to carry, making it ideal for on-the-go practice. Whether you're a beginner or an experienced player, the Portable 6 String Fingerboard Guitar is a must-have tool for improving your guitar skills.
Jamstik Guitar Trainer
This Portable Wireless MIDI Smart Guitar is an entry-level MIDI controller that comes with free interactive teaching apps for learning to play the guitar. The Jamstik Guitar Trainer is compatible with a variety of devices including iPhones, iPads, Chromebooks, Macs, and PCs, and it can be connected either via Bluetooth or USB.
This smart guitar is an ideal tool for those who want to get started with music production and composition
Whether you have just started learning to play the guitar or you are a seasoned player, the Jamstik Guitar Trainer is a great choice for anyone looking to improve their guitar skills while also exploring music production.
Dilwe Pocket Guitar
This compact and lightweight pocket guitar is the perfect tool for guitar players of all levels. Whether you're a beginner or a seasoned professional, this guitar is ideal for practising chords and scales, improving finger quickness, and building calluses.
- ECO-FRIENDLY MATERIAL: Made from high-quality plastic and wood, this pocket guitar is eco-friendly, sturdy, and durable.
- EASY TO CARRY: The compact size and lightweight design make it easy to carry with you, so you can practise anywhere, anytime.
- EXCELLENT TRAINING TOOL: The pocket guitar is an excellent tool for practising chords and scales, building finger strength and dexterity, and improving your overall guitar skills.
- ATTRACTIVE DESIGN: With its plastic cover featuring a wood grain pattern and fine workmanship, this guitar has an elegant and stylish appearance.
- Material: Plastic + Wood
- Open Size (LxWxH): Approximately 44.5x5x3.3cm/17.51x1.96x1.29 inches
- Closed Size (LxWxH): Approximately 25.5x5x3.3cm/10.03x1.96x1.29 inches
- Weight: Approximately 187g
Guitar Finger Exerciser
This Guitar Finger Exerciser from Dilwe is a slightly different option as it is not strictly a pocket guitar, but it can help guitar players build their finger strength and become better guitarists.
- DURABLE MATERIALS: This finger exerciser is constructed with plastic and metal of high quality, ensuring sturdiness and longevity through fine machining.
- EFFECTIVE DESIGN: The spring structure and high resilience of the finger exerciser make it ideal for finger training. The included buttons ensure comfort during use.
- PURPOSE: This hand strengthener trainer features 5 pressing keys to practise finger intervals, along with 2 holders to keep the keys in place. Perfect for pre-performance warm-ups, maintaining muscle memory when away from your instrument or for physical therapy.
- VERSATILE: The finger exerciser is suitable for use by guitar, piano, golf, tennis, and physical therapy beginners, helping to improve tension, grip, and strength.
WANGCL 6 Fret Portable Pocket Guitar
The WANGCL 6-Fret Portable Pocket Guitar is a sturdy and durable option for guitarists looking for a portable training device that will help them strengthen their fingers and improve their fretwork, chord playing and scales.
- BUILT TO LAST: This pocket guitar is constructed with high-quality plastic and wooden materials, ensuring its longevity and eco-friendliness.
- REALISTIC DESIGN: With its sturdy wood body and authentic strings, this pocket guitar delivers a realistic playing experience that is sure to enhance your training.
- TAKE IT ANYWHERE: Its compact size and lightweight design make it easy to carry with you, allowing you to practise and perfect your skills no matter where you go.
- STYLISH AND STURDY: The plastic cover features a beautiful wood grain pattern and fine workmanship, adding both style and durability to this must-have tool.
- ELEVATE YOUR SKILLS: Ideal for beginners, children, or professional guitarists, this pocket guitar is the perfect tool for training chords, scales, and finger quickness, helping you reach new levels of proficiency.
Choosing the best guitar for a child is a crucial step in their musical journey. It is essential that the instrument is not only size-appropriate,…
If you’re at the stage of your guitar-playing career that you are ready for a bit of a challenge, then these songs might help you…
As the festive season approaches and the excitement of the holiday season starts to build, it’s time to think about that great Christmas tradition –…
Black Friday 2023 will soon be upon us, which means there are a lot of awesome deals on guitars just around the corner! Every year,…
One of the most common questions from beginner guitar players is how to properly hold a guitar pick. A guitar pick, or plectrum, is a…
Guitars are popular instruments known for their versatility and ability to produce a wide range of sounds. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced player,…
Guitars are not the most convenient instrument to carry around with you all day, so if you want something a bit more portable to help…
We’ve all slaved over a nice tune we’ve been working on, trying to come up with the perfect next chord to move it along. Well…
Difficulty in getting your guitar to hold its tune is a common problem. It’s one of the most frequent internet searches relating to guitars and…
If you’re thinking about learning how to play guitar, one of your first questions is likely to be: how much do guitar lessons cost? Whether…